Pages

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

fall cleaning?

I was going to be really good and do my spring cleaning this year.
Only...things got in the way and I kept putting it off. And putting it off some more. So, for the last few weeks I was looking forward to a three day weekend to really clean through the things I don't often get a chance to. Mainly...my closet and filing system.
But for some reason I really got in the urge to start last night. I went through all the tops (because my pants were good to go) I had hanging up and tried everything on to see if I still liked the fit and color, etc. I have a lot of clothes, and that comes mainly from working retail during college. And a lot of the stuff I have I haven't seen since college. Why keep them? Because I'm a pack rat.
This evening I went through my most of my drawers of folded tops and socks, finding a lot of 'lonely' socks that turns out didn't need to be so lonely.
InStyle had an article several issues back about shopping your closet. Which I guess is essentially what I'm doing because I'm pulling out things I know I'll never wear and uncovering items I used to wear but forget about when they get shoved to the back of my closet.
Now I realize this isn't the most riveting post I've had, but the cleaning and organizing is making me feel really good. It's good to get some things in order, especially if you're not feeling like your whole life is in order. I'm about 2/3 of the way finished with my closet (maybe about 1/2 of the way through if you count all the sweaters and sweatshirts that are folded neatly up top...but I may leave those until I'm feeling more 'sweatery' in the cooler fall weather) and looking forward to having a neat, organized closet. Which is good when you've grown up having a huge walk-in closet and now have about a shoe-box size.
I will have some more riveting posts later. Despite the artist stereotype, I'm actually a very orderly person. I like my closet organized a certain way, at work I need a clean desk in order to function, I need my files in certain ways and, yes, I alphabetize my books, first by category and subject and then by author. I had my DVDs alphabetized until I no longer had shelves and now they're just stacked up on the floor and I can tell you it's driving me crazy.

No comments: