Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I used to the play the flute

I used to play the flute, and now I couldn't remember fingering positions if my life depended on it. If I think about it long enough, F seems to start coming back but then I forget it in an instant (if it ever came back at all). I can still position my lips correctly, so I suppose I could at least make a sound on the instrument.

Random thought, no? But this morning I had the classical music station on and there was a piece that was pretty much all flute. And as I sat with my cup of coffee, listening to it and slowly starting my morning (I'm definitely not a morning person. If it's early, I hate getting up and rushing around to get ready and out the door), I felt...nostalgic for an instrument I used to play, albeit not very well. And maybe that's because I'm sure it's one I won't go back to.

I still have my flute, somewhere. My Mom told me she didn't get rid of it after the move, even though I think I might have told her to go ahead and toss it. If I remember correctly, there's a piece that's loose and needs to be repaired. But of course now there doesn't seem to be the time to go back to it. I barely have enough time for work, writing, piano and Italian. Oh, and now French since I want to go to Paris and try to force myself to speak French (maybe I'll finally bump up to the advanced). And of course there are a couple exhibitions at the museums now i want to see.

When I listen to Josh Bell, I wish I'd taken up the violin and then wonder if that would have gone the way of the piano and flute. I played piano for several years (along with ballet...what little girl hasn't done one or the other?) and stopped, only to finally take it up again in high school with lessons after school. Now I have a keyboard that I play when I have time and study my lessons as though I still had to. But weeks will go by where I don't touch the keys. Would I have gone back to the violin after falling in love with Puccini's O Mio Bambino?

Hmmm...not sure. Maybe I'll have to create a character who plays the flute. Definitely a good reason to try to play that again. Of course, that's assuming I can find the instrument. And fix it.

Anyone else have any instruments in their past they miss or have gone back to?

No comments: