Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

webrings

Ok, so random thought today. Shortly after I woke up this morning, and planning out my day and writing and all of that, I thought about webrings. Maybe because I was thinking about websites after a discussion with my sister yesterday.

Do you remember those?

I assume they're still around, but maybe it's because I can't remember the last time I came across one. The idea was a good one, and also very time consuming. Back in the mid-90s, when dial-up was still the new thing and was all the rage and I looked through all these sites through my Netscape, I used to spend so much time online! Granted, I still do, but in other aspects. Now it's checking emails, checking the social networking sites (playing Scrabble on Facebook), but then it was just...browsing.

I even once wondered what I used to do with all that time online. In junior high, it's not like there are a whole lot of options you can do in the evenings, or staying up late night, especially once the homework was finished (of course the homework would always be finished first). And sometimes it was just clicking through the webrings or even looking at a directory and seeing which ones sounded interesting.

Hmmm...the internet was a different place then. Although, you know what? I kind of like it now. If anything, it helps me boost my scrabble score when it comes to playing in real life.

You know what they say: Practice makes perfect!

No comments: