Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2007

temptation

It's that time of year again; the time where many of us try to come up with something that's hard to give up, but really...not too difficult. And what about those of us who really have none of the standard vices? I have to admit I was a little stumped for this year. I don't smoke, I don't drink a lot, I don't eat meat, I don't really eat chocolate, I don't drink soda and the one thing that I am addicted to is not feasible for me to give up. And I don't mean in a selfish way. If I were to give up coffee for 40 days, it would not be a pretty 40 days and it would be best if I were holed up in my apartment. The way I would respond to people would not be a good example of "brotherly love," and so I think I'm safe that coffee will not be required of me.
I won't go into everything I've opted to do, since I do think it is more a personal thing, but I do have one question to ask. One thing I did give up, sort of on a whim, was chocolate. Like I said I above, I don't really eat it. I'll go weeks without chocolate because it's not something I crave. Now...with that being said. I walk into work on Wednesday where a box of bite-size brownies from a recent program are sitting out, a dark chocolate bar is sitting in the work-room, along with a box of dark chocolate bars we've had sitting in there and a dish of chocolates from Valentine's Day sitting in the front office. And I admit, without thinking, I almost took a chocolate brownie. But I remembered it was Ash Wednesday and I couldn't for the life of me admit to breaking my Lent on the first day.
So I resisted. But it was so hard since it was no longer a matter of not wanting it, but now it was a matter of not being able to have it (theoretically...because I could and no one but me would ever be the wiser).
And I have no Mardi Gras stories because my exciting last-indulgence was going to class.

1 comment:

Across The River said...

That's like some sort of cruel joke to have that much chocolate there right after you've given it up. A lesser person might have given into temptation. Methinks you just earned yourself brownie points for the afterlife.