Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2007

if a tree falls...

Last night I met an old high school friend for dinner, and since it's been about six years since I last saw her, we obviously had a lot to catch up on. We met for some delicious Thai, tasty, fruity drinks and about two hours of conversation. When I left her at Dupont and turned to walk down P Street, I saw the flashing lights of a cop car blocking P at 18th.
My first thought was: "Oh dear Lord...what happened?" Especially since I saw flares, no smashed cars and the yellow police tape stretched across the street.
No one seemed to be panicking, so...whatever it was, couldn't have been too bad.
As I walk down P I see the tape at 17th Street end of the block stretched out across the sidewalk on the side I was on, so I crossed over to the other side (strange to do that without having to look for oncoming traffic) and that was when I saw it: half of a tree stretched out across the street, it's leaves brushing the opposite sidewalk in a frenzy of green, possibly half the height of one of the walkups it lay in front of.
The base of the 'branch' (even though it could well have been it's own tree) was still connected to the tree and it must have happened shortly before I left my friend at Dupont, seeing as how the cop was only just setting up the flare at one end. The 17th end already had flares going and the tape secured.
It's been a very busy day so I haven't had a chance to look at news and see what exactly happened. There was one car you could see a little through the leaves, but any damage was difficult to tell. I passed one woman who commened on her car being on our side of the street, just before the tree.
But despite the danger, the trees are gorgeous and in the heat and humidity they at least provide brief respite from the sun.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

thanks...hopefully you were able to "see" it since I didn't get a good picture.