Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

small acts of kindness

Living in a large city, such as this one, many of us can easily find something (or some things...ok, several things) to complain about. One of them is construction. I've read many urban blogs complaining about the sidewalk and street closings, the noise, the dust, etc., etc. so I know I'm not alone. Near where I live is one of these wonderful sites of what will be, I'm sure, a wonderful building when it's finished. But it's been going on for essentially the last several years I've lived there.
I've learned to live with it. As have most of the people in this area.
But occasionally there will be one beast of a truck (or, like yesterday, a great big cloud of dust that almost makes you wonder what went wrong) that throws just the slightest crimp in an ordinary day. And today was one such day. I'm not complaining because really, so what? I have to cross the street in the middle of the block instead of at the end. It's happened before and it may even be quicker. Depending on traffic of course.
And this morning there was a little bit more traffic than usual. Maybe that's my fault since I left about 10 minutes later than normal. But when I stepped out and waited for a break in traffic, one of the crew ran over and stepped out, stopping traffic. I figured this was for some large truck backing out and knew enough to hurry across and out of the way, taking advantage of the moment.
But when I crossed the street, I glanced back and there was no truck. And the man had gone back to the others. Did he just...stop traffic for me to get across?
I glanced back several times, looking for the truck that wasn't there and you know what? Even if he didn't do it just to let me cross the street, that's what it looked like. And it totally made my day. That's the purpose of this post. It's the small things, the little things that make a difference.
And they say chivalry is dead.

4 comments:

Daniel Packer said...

For those living in the DC are, you may have heard about a fantastic story of a couple who found a $40,000 diamond ring in a parking lot and decided to return it. They came into Mervis Diamond's Virginia diamond store hoping to find the owner, and after a bunch of detective work they did! It's a great story, and for more, check out their diamond lost and found website.

Patricia said...

That's a great story! Thanks for posting. There's a large act of kindness for you.

Montana Tom said...

Such unexpected kindness from strangers is one of those little things that make life worthwhile... so what did you do for someone unexpectedly today?

Patricia said...

Exactly. The little things, even as small as a simple "please" or "thank you," and "have a nice day!"

So far today...not much. But it's still early! :)