Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

french press

So it felt like several years ago the French press became all the rage, despite it being a brewing method around for 160 years or so. They seemed to be everywhere and I heard quite regularly how great a cup of coffee made from a French press was.

But, like many fads, this one seemed to quietly fade. It was still there, of course. There was even some restaurant I heard of that served after dinner coffee in little French presses (how cute!). Somehow though, I had missed this. Despite my love of coffee, I never got around to trying it.

Until the other week. A few months ago, I won one in my writer's group, which made me a very happy girl since I've long wanted to try it out. Of course, a few months go by and I still haven't. Finally I got it out from the cabinet, washed it up and scanned over the directions and tried it with my favorite Sumatra blend coffee.

The result?


A resounding yum!

It's so much smoother than coffee brewed in my regular coffee pot, and maybe a little more bold. It's not as warm, but maybe that's just because I'm afraid of cracking the pot and my water could be a little warmer, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Plus, if I make more than a cup, which I normally do, it's not sitting on a burner continually heating up, but on my countertop. This I may have to tweak a little.

But it's definitely delicious, if you're a coffee drinker. Whereas before I looked forward to making a pot of coffee on the weekends and getting a little writing done, I'm now looking forward to my French press and my draft. There have even been a few mornings before work where I've made some. I didn't today, but it's definitely become a favorite.

No comments: