Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

even the best laid plans...

I was supposed to do some travel over the long weekend, hopefully going somewhere a little warmer than DC where the snow and the cold could have free rein while I was away. But...that did not quite work out the way I had planned. My trip, ultimately, was canceled, and while at the time I was of course upset, I now fully appreciate the irony.

I first had to reschedule out of DC because of snow here. That was not ideal, but it was ok. I was able to reschedule for an early morning flight the very next day. I figured I could live with that, even if it meant leaving for the airport just after the middle of the night to give plenty of time to get through the snowdrifts.

But then I had to reschedule my trip again because of snow. At my destination. And this was not a place that sees much snow, and so of course their "severe winter weather" was a couple of inches, compared to the massive amounts of inches piling up around the capital. But here my luck ran out. I was not able to reschedule a flight out until the day before I was supposed to return. I would have had less than 24 hours of vacation.

So I canceled. And you know...I've also decided to look at it this way. For the amount of flying I do, I have not had many major issues. I figure I was due...and I would rather have had it been this weekend than say Christmas, or over my trip to Paris that I finally took a few months ago.

It would of course have been nice to be in the south where their snow is already gone, and they're cold with 50 degrees, but I'll be back. And the weekend here gave me a chance to catch up on other things. And also give myself more work to do. On one writing project, a little over halfway through the edits, I decided it would probably work better in first person, rather than third. Ironically this was something I thought when I first started too.

I am now rewriting from the beginning. But also taking a look at it as a time to edit. Let's see how this goes.

2 comments:

Sarah K said...

It's funny because I actually stumbled upon your blog while doing research for a paper on Le Dormeur du Val for my French Lit class. But then read your most recent post and felt obligated to comment because I had a similar experience last week of snow canceling flights and delaying travel plans while trying to leave the DC area.

Then I read the post below that about snow and found it interesting that you mentioned you have been to Montana because practically my entire family is from there and I've met very few people who have been there!

Just thought you'd enjoy that!

Patricia said...

Oh no! I hope you were able to leave DC without too much of a delay.

And yes, I agree with you about Montana. Now that I've visited a few times, I've also noticed that I haven't met many who've been.

Interesting parallels!