Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

percy jackson and greek mythology

Just a very quick post for a movie recommendation. Well, and a book recommendation tied into that too, I guess.

So yesterday I went to see The Lightening Thief in theatres, and I loved it. I have to admit that I had kind of been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. About a year or so ago, I got around to reading the book, and my first reaction was that I was kind of upset with it. I was upset with it, because I wanted to know where this series was when I was that age.

I thought it was such a cool idea, putting the Greek gods into today's world, and having them be just as meddlesome and dramatic as ever. Growing up, I loved Greek mythology. I still do, of course, but I used to read anything I could that would give me more stories about the gods. Any guesses as to my favorite god?*

So yes, the book is a suggested read, and I recommend the movie. As with any adaptation, there were some things that were left out. But I can honestly say that I didn't mind so much. I think the actors were all fantastic, mortal, god and demigod alike. And of course the Fury was awfully creepy. I thought the "kids" were a little bit older than I had pictured in the books, but again, it didn't bother me so much. It's been awhile since I read the books, so that could have been part of it. But also somewhat older kids, like in the movie, are probably more likely to be going off on their own like that.

I'll admit it. I'm kind of already looking forward to the DVD and the second one. My inner-nerd is happy. To recap my short post: excellent story idea and a pretty good cinematic adaptation.

*If you guessed Athena, you'd be correct!

No comments: