Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

rolling thunder 2010

I first heard about the Rolling Thunder rally from my Dad, who took part in at least one run back in the day. And when I first decided to come out to DC for a semester, one of the arguments for the spring term was witnessing Rolling Thunder (I ended up opting for the fall...wanting to actually witness a fall and also DC at Christmas). It didn't matter so much since less than a year after my semester, I moved out here. And that first spring, I couldn't wait to see it.

But that was about four years ago. Since then, it was on my mind, but either rain threatened or I mixed up the days. This year, the weather promised sunshine and warmth, and I knew I had to take another trip down to the mall.

If you're not familiar with what Rolling Thunder is, it's a motorcycle rally/demonstration started in 1987 to bring attention to the POW/MIA issue. And if you've ever heard the sound of a Harley, let alone even a small group, you can easily imagine why it was so named (And let me tell you, there is nothing like hearing that thunder!). I haven't seen numbers for this year's run, but the Rolling Thunder website says that there were possibly 500,000 riders in 2005.

And if you can make it up to DC for the Memorial Day weekend, it is more than worth it. The demonstration for our veterans, POW/MIAs is very moving, and not only is it worth it to witness it, but it is more than worth it to add support and appreciation for those who fight for us.

To those who have served, those we encounter every day and those who have not made it home: Thank You.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Mike Thomas, Editor-and-chief at www.DCguide.com . We are currently seeking volunteer writers to cover anything and everything about Washington, DC . I hope that you are interested as we'd really love to have you as part of the team.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you'd like to join the team. Also include what topic you'd be interested in writing about.

Best,

Mike Thomas
Editor-in-Chief
DCGuide.com

Michael J. Sullivan said...

Patricia...

You don't get too many comments, but when you do...