Pages

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

busy weekends

I've had two fairly full weekends the last two weeks. The first was unplanned, and the second was one I had been looking forward to for some time.

For those not in DC, there were several events around Earth Day, culminating in an Earth day rally down on the mall, which featured several speakers and bands. I hadn't planned to go because that whole weekend the forecast ominously predicted lots of rain with a sprinkling of thunderstorms. And while I love Sting, I wasn't looking forward to standing out in the rain.

But the rally's luck held and the rain held out. I headed down in mid to late afternoon when the sun was struggling to come out, but by the end of the rally, the sun had definitely lost and it grew very cold (and I'd left my light jacket at home since I hadn't needed it earlier!).

Then this past weekend I took part in the 48 hour film project again. If you're not familiar with, it's basically exactly what it says: make a film in 48 hours. And you're given a genre to work within, a character, a prop and a line of dialogue to incorporate into the script. This is the third time I've done this, working as a screenwriter in our group, and it just gets more fun.

The trains weren't working great over the weekend, which made the commute to the locations less fun. But that was a small complaint. On Saturday when I went to check out filming, I had only planned to stick around for maybe an hour or two. But...I ended up staying until filming wrapped. It's just such a fun and interesting process. There are a lot of people involved in making a movie, even a short one. And had the trains been running on schedule without track maintenance, I would have gone out on Sunday to watch some of the editing.

This week AFI will be screening the films, so wish us all luck! I can't wait to see the finished product.

No comments: