Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2007

from long to short

I'm taking the main theme of my novel and I'm going to try rewriting/reworking it as a short story. It's sort of what my novel is worked around, but there have been several times that I think the pacing was sacrificed for length (since there's a standard length for first novels), and I'm wondering if it could be that much more powerful as a short story.

I never really thought of myself as a short story writer, even though there are obvious benefits to it. I wrote a few in high school, but usually I intended to keep those stories from creative writing class assignments and add to them to make novels since I thought the story could continue much more. I also used to not be a fan of short stories, though I'm not sure what it was about them I didn't like.

Last year my cousin gave me a collection and for Christmas I received Hemingway's The Snows of Kilamanjaro. So...wish me luck on this endeavor. I still have numerous pages to finish for my French homework. Is it sad that I'm already counting down the weeks? 9 more left. I wish I could just skip all that and go to the end and see how well my French comes back. I know. Patience is a virtue.

2 comments:

Across The River said...

Interesting. So how long is a short story nowadays, and how much do you think you'll have to cut?

Patricia said...

Well...I don't think I'm going to do much cutting since that would be over 300 pages. :) I'll just do some pastin gand some rewriting in a new document.

I'm aiming for about 20 pages, double spaced in word, which should be about right.