Pages

Monday, March 26, 2007

locals vs. foreigners

DC is an interesting place. It's always in flux, constantly changing and changing beyond every four years. As a Washingtonian, I'm not aware of dislike of "foreigners," whether from Texas, California, Kansas, the other Washington, or France, Ghana, Argentina, China. Some may feel differently around tourist season when the population of the district swells exponentially, but overall...we recognize this place is pretty transient and generally go with the flow. I think I have met only two born and raised locals. Maybe.

The reason I bring this up? For an article that my Father pointed out to me, "Californians blamed for spoiling West." I don't think he was pointing it out to me because of my "Californian ways," but more because he was quoted in it. Him and his website Montana Sucks. In this article, locals are upset when 'foreigners' move in and change things. I hear those from Florida are getting upset about New Yorkers elbowing their way in, and despite the fact that California is one of the most populated states, their population is still managing to annoy the rest of the country.

Now...a little disclaimer. I don't say 'annoy' because they annoy me. I'm using that generally. Some of my best friends are Californian...and I do have a little bit of that California attitude after living there for four years. I've joked to people during vacations from school about how "oh, well, I must be turning into a Californian," since they were about the complete opposite of a Texan. With that being said...I'm almost certain I'll end up in Texas. Sure, California's great, Boston's great in the spring and Virginia's got some gorgeous places...but I'm not sure you can take the Texas out of the girl. I tried when I first left.

So. Despite the US being a melting pot, it seems it may be more of a pot filled with water and oil, with each portion wanting to remain on its side. We're all set in our ways, and certianly don't want those crazy Westerners/Northerners/Southerners changing things! I've even caught mysefl in Washington thinking, "in Texas, this would be different." But honestly, can you blame the oil for wanting to mix?

Take the above photo. Beautiful. And that was in May before the sun really came out. Even a tried and true urban girl like me misses that place and loved being out there. I'm almost counting down the days where I can go back and visit Flathead Lake and...well...and do nothing up there in the mountains and just look at how incredibly green the trees are, or falling asleep while the boat rocks on a lake the size of an ocean (to my urban eyes).

Oh wait...I'm sorry. I forgot. Montana sucks. Everyone should just stay where they are. It's a horrible place full of...of...hmmm. Well, there's no urban landscape there. No mass pollution, cars with a permanent weight on their hands. There we go.

3 comments:

Montana Tom said...

Speaking for the rest of us Montanans, we appreciate you spreading the word. Remember, nothing to do here, scenery is blah, smog terrible... it just sucks!

Across The River said...

DC is an interesting place as you point out, because of a lack of locals and therefore, for the most part, a lack of hating foreigners. From what I've seen though, there's a fair number of DC residents who are uncomfortable with sharing a border with a red state.

Patricia said...

Tom: Smog. in Montana. Uh huh...I buy that.

ATR: Hmmm...I haven't noticed that. Then again, most of the people I know are in sync with the red. Which is ironic, since I think you do tend to think of DC as more liberal. Eh, what are you going to do?