Pages

Monday, March 19, 2007

spring break and st. patrick's day

Though I have not yet come to terms with the fact that I will not ever have a spring break again, unless I do decide to go to law school (but even then I will still be working) I have to admit that this past week has felt a little like a break. This is probably due to the late nights and the fact that I had a chance to play tour guide. I love playing tour guide because I'm reminded of how great this city is. Take the monuments. I don't go down to see them very often and every time I go, I remember just how incredible and incredibly moving they are and vow to make it a point to return. Soon.
And then I don't usually.
But I am promising that again. And I will try to make a point to keep that promise. The cherry blossom festival will happen soon, so that's at least one more time that I will make much effort to go down to the Mall.
One other cool thing, while I'm on the topic of the Mall and then on to St. Patrick's Day, but on Tuesday I got to walk in the reflecting pool. It was drained, as were all the fountains (which was a bad thing, in particular with WWII), and at first I didn't want to walk in it as some were doing because it felt almost disrespectful. But as a tourist group of loud high school students surrounded and overtook my friend and me, I felt the need to escape, so we stepped down in the reflecting pool, taking glances back at the Washington Monument and the Capital building in the very center of my line of vision, along with Lincoln in front of us.
Anyway. St. Patrick's Day was great. This year I spent it in a city/country where it's kind of a big deal. Especially if, like me, you're Irish. So I woke up early after a late night dancing (Happy Birthday A!), with some incredible pizza that I think I may still be craving, to make Irish soda bread. I have not made this in over a decade, so who knew how it was going to turn out. My Irish ancestors must have been looking down on me because it was wonderful. I actually have a picture of it, but that may have to wait until I take some more pictures and get my film developed (I know...and I don't want to hear it).
Later that day I joined some friends at Biddy Mulligan's for some drinks. The good conversation more than made up for waiting for about 15 minutes in the bitter cold (although that wasn't too bad either). It was good to hang out with some people I don't normally see. Although it might have been better had they actually been serving their curry fries instead of only what was on their special St. Patrick's Day menu. I guess you can't everything.
And then finally, I went with a friend to a club just outside of NW to see Armin van Buuren. Despite not being able to actually go to the arena (or whatever they call that room) to dance since it was so packed (because it was Armin van Buuren), my friend did manage to score a spot behind the DJ booth where we could dance and keep an eye on our coats. I could have stayed for hours because the music was that good, but I haven't yet broken in my heels and two nights of dancing were really punishing me for all the late nights this week.
It was a really great St. Patrick's Day, if I do say so.

No comments: