Pages

Thursday, February 07, 2008

out of the comfort zone

Before I get to the point of this post, I just want to say how incredibly beautiful it was tonight. While out walking home and then out to the metro, it was just..wonderful. There was that cool breeze with the hint of rain coming after it, which meant a fresh scent with the wind. I could have stayed out for hours.
But...back to my point. Tonight at my writer's group we experimented with writing outside of our comfort zones. Interestingly, many of us, including me, wrote horror. Which to me is a little amusing because I haven't even finished reading a horror book.
And I found it fun. I'm not saying my work is going to make me the next Stephen King, but I had a great time time crafting a world outside of the worlds I normally create. Even if I didn't quite create it, I used my University and the stories of the city and orange groves as a backdrop, it was a different atmosphere.
I didn't finish, didn't even really get to the horror part, but I was setting it up. And I think that it's a great exercise. I think it's a great way to work on the techniques of crafting atmosphere and background and even characters. You have to try harder with something you're less familiar with.
I'll play around with my story and see if it goes anywhere, and maybe post it just to show my first, and quite probably my last, attempt at horror. We'll see. But I suggest trying it. It might be surprising to see what comes out.

No comments: