Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

perfect bike weather

And I don't mean that kind of bike. I mean:


I saw at least two people out last night enjoy the cool evening with their bikes. They had the right idea. Some who know me know that I love motorcycles. Yes, I am aware they're dangerous (I've always worn a helmet when I've ridden), but I don't think that's what the draw is. And it's very important to be alert riding them, especially since if you're driving a car, they can seem to come up out of nowhere on the highway, at least in LA that was the case.

I think the draw is similar to why some people drive around in convertibles or with their windows rolled down. It's that rush of air all around you, only multiplied on the back of a motorcycle. And yes, it's even the roar of the engine over everything else. I don't know...it's just...in a word: cool. It's more...free.

My Dad used to have a Harley, and of course, of all the bikes I've since seen, I still like his the best. Even with the short period with shortened Longhorns. I would never have been able to learn to drive on that one though, I could barely stand that thing upright it was so heavy. But I loved riding it. And with last night's weather, I wished that back was here in DC. Well...minus the traffic.

There weren't too many beautiful evenings like yesterday in Texas though to cruise around though. At least on the highways there was enough of a breeze generated to take a little bit of the heat off. Just a little.

I don't drive one, but maybe I should set a potential goal for the time I'm 30 to have my motorcycle license. Or make more friends with people who have them.

No comments: