Pages

Sunday, November 09, 2008

fall

Even after three, well, four, falls here in DC I'm still not used to it. I love the crunch of the dried leaves underfoot on the sidewalks, I like seeing them carpet the red brick walkways and a canopy made of ruby and carnelian colored leaves, with the occasional bright yellow in between.

Because, you see...in North Texas, there's maybe a day or two of fall. And the leaves that do change don't change these brilliant colors. They turn brown. And then the next day they're gone. And of course, a day after that, the weather's back up to 70 or 80 (hey! sounds like DC weather lately!).

So I took advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday to walk around and just enjoy the leaves. I had my route mapped out, as I've seen some beautiful picture-perfect scenes on my walk to and from work, but I ended up walking around more than that. I went down to the mall, but as it was packed in anticipation of Veteran's Day (which, by the way, please thank a Veteran!) I skipped most of the monuments and instead came across the memorial to the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

I'd seen this lake before, but hadn't realized there was a memorial there until yesterday.
Unfortunately as it was mostly overcast, which was a perfect fall day, my pictures came out a little darker than I had anticipated. But I'm hoping to go down to the National Gallery today and will take my camera with me.

When I first moved out here, I used to walk aimlessly around with my camera, taking pictures of whatever caught my interest. But I haven't been doing that lately. And there have been a few moments where I just think "oh, I wish I had my camera!" I'm going to have to remedy this and bring my camera with me.

Anyway, you can see more of my Fall pictures here. And if you live in DC, then you can also go out and enjoy because winter is approaching! Even if you wouldn't know it by the weather.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spring and fall are definitely my most favorite seasons. I'm glad you got outside this weekend, too -- it was lovely!! :)

sugarlens said...

Hey there, found your blog via dcblogs. Very nice!

I love fall, too. I took pictures nonstop the past couple of weeks. But I noticed that just yesterday, the leaves have dried up and the colors are nearly gone.

Patricia said...

Zandria, I have definitely decided that I love spring and fall as well. Didn't have much of those seasons in Texas.

Sugarlens, thanks for visiting! You're right. There are still a few trees with vibrant colors and most of their leaves, but..few and far between. At least you were able to get some great pictures!