Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

texas


I know. I'm late at posting this. But...I've been a little busy and this is the perfect weekend for catching up on things. Nice long four day weekend. And that's what I'm doing. I've been organizing and cleaning, little by little, so that it's not all done at once and feeling a little overwhelming.

But...I wanted to bring you up to date on my trip to Texas over the holidays. o any of you who travel home still feel that way? When I get off the plane and I'm walking through D/FW, it's like a burden has been lifted. No, that's not the way to describe it. But I can breathe easier. I know that I can relax, that things are chill here. It's a different way of life down there. And this trip I was really looking forward to.

Granted, this had also been the longest period of time I'd gone without a trip back there, but also because I knew that the day after Christmas, we were going to the King Tut exhibition at the DMA. I had meant to take a trip up to Philadelphia when it was there, but I didn't and I had kind of regretted that. So I'm really happy it came back to stop at a couple of other cities, and that Dallas was one of them. It was, of course, incredible.

And the one item that really stood out was this...necklace or pendent that really wasn't too big. Maybe a couple of inches. But the reason it stood out was because of the scarab. It had this kind of...pale green glass that the scarab was carved out of. Next to the display case there was a video that said the glass came from the desert, from this area where a meteor had come crashing down and exploded before hitting the earth. And the heat from that explosion melted the glass for miles, and that's where the glass came from. And of course there were more. I mean...the exhibition was artifacts from Ancient Egypt...talk about opulence. But that one item stuck out in my mind because of the glass.

I also of course got to catch up with some friends and had the best time with my sister. I was, I think, the only person in Texas looking forward to it warming up by the end of that week. I wanted some warmth before I came back to DC, and of course...they want their little cold spells to last as long as possible. But I got my wish and it warmed up to about 70 my last few days. And I'm already looking forward to my next trip, only I have no idea when that will be.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season! And here's to a great 2009!

No comments: