Pages

Sunday, August 02, 2009

true beauty

Cloudy, grey skies make me want to listen to calm music that I normally think of as "late night" music. This includes lounge, acoustic, light rock and classical. Sometimes it's Delerium, or Massive Attack or Bach. This morning I've put in a CD though that I haven't listened to for several months. I'm listening to Joshua Bell's Romance of the Violin, am reminded of how incredibly wonderful this CD is and also what a great talent he is.

The first song on here is Puccini's O Mio Bambino Caro. And I think this is my favorite song on the entire CD. It's the reason why I started drafting this post in the first place. There's something...almost ethereal about it. The gentle cry of the violin strings are haunting and I just want to close my eyes and lay back and listen to the violin's singing.

I read over story behind the aria, which I wasn't aware of as I have not seen Gianni Schicchi. The English translation of the lyrics show very simple lyrics. But I don't think the lyrics are what make this piece so...beautiful, I think it's the music.

Basically I should just say that highly recommend this CD, and am enjoying an overcast day that made me listen to again. If anything, it's worth it just for the first song. The rest are great too, of course. Like Debussy's The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, which is another hauntingly beautiful song in the hands of Bell.


No comments: