Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

now boarding zones 1 and 2...so why are the rest of you up here?

Ok. I think someone's got to say it. And it may as well be me. There is something I have not understood about airplane boarding. If you're not called...then why are you crowding the area around the door? We're all going on the same plane...and last time I checked, if your seat's assigned to you, then it's not like you're going to be able to move up front.

I know. It's so people can find a place for their bags. Which is why I check mine. It's less of a hassle. You don't have to worry about taking out your bag of shampoo, conditioner, face cleanser, and whatever else you've managed to fit in there. There's no worry of finding bin space, or it being so heavy that it slows you down if you're rushing through the next airport to make a connection.

The reason I ask is because of common courtesy. When they call my zone, I'd like to board with my zone. It's difficult to find the back of the line when those whose numbers have not been called are slowly inching around to be first once their zone is called.

Yes, this happened to me over the weekend. I was waiting for my second flight to board, sitting down comfortably and reading, when my zone was called. I was looking forward to finding my seat, sitting back and continuing my book. So when my zone was called, I got up and wandered over to the boarding area, only...there was this large crowd with some people inching forward. Not wanting to cut in line, I stood back and tried to find...well, the back. And then the next zone was called, and half that crowd rushed forward....including someone whose carry on must have been twice the size of the allowed limit. Yes, it did take him time to find a bin and yes...I did have to wait in the front of the plane while he tried to fit his bag in.

Common courtesy. If your zone isn't called...please try to make sure you're not confusing those who wait patiently to find their seats. Again...we're all going to the same place. It's not like the plane is going to fill up and leave you without a seat.

No comments: