Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

death of an icon

I posted a link elsewhere to the Kurt Vonnegut news article around 6:45am Thursday morning before heading off to a breakfast program at work. That early I didn't have time to say more about it, and I kept meaning to do so. The only thing that held me back was...where do you begin? Vonnegut had achieved such stature that most writers can perhaps only dream of. And his books, while enjoyable and entertaining, had much more substance to them than many on the shelves and front tables do today. He was a living writer up there in the ranks of Twain, Hemingway and Heller in that he was read year after year by countless students.
It's with a little regret that I say it's been quite some time since I've read any Vonnegut. Several years, and only two books. His were books that I always went to the bookstore and scanned over and just always said I'd come back to pick them up another day. I don't feel right with talking about my favorite scene or discussing the ways in which his writing made me feel or moved me. He did of course make an impression.
With the internet, it was incredible to see how quickly news of his death spread across the virtual world and whispered across everyone's lips: "did you hear?" "this morning I saw..." "have you listened to the news today?"
Thank you, Mr. Vonnegut, for your wisdom, your words, your satire, for the people you have inspired and for your library of work that will continue to entertain and educate. You will be, and already are, missed.

No comments: