Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Paul Revere

This is probably my last "poetry" post since April ends next Monday. I had hoped to have more, but it's been an incredibly busy period at work and I barely have time for my own writing/editing. This week will be much more calm, but I've got something going on almost every day after work (mostly writing/reading-related activities, which is nice). Anyway, after this it'll be back to my DC experiences.
I've just finished reading a book that mentioned, very briefly, at the end Longfellow's Paul Revere's Ride. This is another poem I have loved ever since I can remember. I've always loved history, but growing up I particularly loved the revolutionary era in American history. Maybe it was romanticism on my part, but the writing that came about during that period speaks volumes of the genius of those men and no matter how many times we read them, hear them or memorize them, just having them on the tip of the tongue gives me chills (yes Mr. Jefferson, I am talking about your work).
This poem is no different. Even though it was written much after that period, it still evokes similar reactions...at least in me. The opening lines are mesmerizing, and for whatever reason, I always hear them spoken in a whisper. It's got such a smooth, steady cadence. Even though this was one I never had to memorize for a class, the opening stanza is burned in my memory.
What a great way to learn history! Things like this stay with you, poetry, music, etc. I remember in one class I knew the answer to a question about Istanbul because of a They Might Be Giants song. And who hasn't been in a class when someone brings up the answer because of the Simpsons? (I've never been a Simpsons fan, but I have heard a reference in many class).
Ok...go out and enjoy this beautiful weather. It's so wonderful to see sunshine again and to feel it. Maybe take a book of poetry out to one of the many little parks around? Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: