Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

james bond and aston martins

On my way to work this morning I saw it, the thing that makes my heart flutter and turn my head until I'm afraid I'll either run into a mailbox or can no longer see it. And no, I'm not talking about all the adorable little puppies that make me grin on the street and wish I had one (until I remember that this would require me taking it out in the middle of the coldest days in Washington). Yes...I am talking about: a car.
But not just any car. A sleek, shiny, new, gleaming black Aston Martin, the car that glides through the streets as smoothly as a shark glides through the ocean currents.
I should probably state for the record that I am not a car person. Yes, I do know how to drive a standard (and love it and may never go back to an automatic if I can help it), and I do like driving fast on near empty highways or down through the curving rocky mountains of my sweet Southern Californian roads. But I couldn't get technical and I normally don't care about horsepower, or turbo charged engines, or whatnot.
Corvettes, yeah, I like them. BMWs, take 'em or leave 'em, Ferraris...quite beautiful but they don't make my heart flutter. But Aston Martins can make me stop in my tracks. Hummers...no thanks.
Maybe it's the James Bond thing. Maybe it's the dream to live a fast, adventurous life full of mystery and drama and intrigue. Maybe it's the same reason why so many people order a martini, "shaken, not stirred" even if they're not a martini fan. I don't even think it's a status symbol because not many people tend to really think of them or notice them.
Some people have a rabbits' foot or charm bracelets to make it a good day. Others make a wish for a good day by kissing the clasp on their necklace when it reaches the front. I have my Aston Martin sightings.
Ah...it's going to be a good day.

3 comments:

sunchaser said...

Aston Martins seem like old folks cars to me.. but maybe I haven't seen the model you're in love with?

I'm a Porsche dreamer myself (because there is no substitute for Porsche :) Not only are the cars things of beauty, but they're also fast and furious. The new Caymans are really pretty too. Porsche: there is no substitute :)

That said, I can't understand why anyone in their "right mind" would buy a Porsche SUV. It almost seems sacriligious.

Patricia said...

I'm in love with the Vanquish. The last two James Bond films had new Aston Martins in them...very, very nice. Maybe old people's cars because they're so exepensive?

I'm with you on the Porsche too. I do like them and I was very, very upset when I saw the first Porsche SUV. I thought they'd sold out.

Patricia said...

Nope, I'm here still! :) Been a little busy and been vacationing. but I'm back, for now.