Pages

Sunday, May 06, 2007

thoughts from friday night

Sometimes you have to wonder if you're doing the right thing.

I'm writing this sitting on the steps just below Lincoln, looking at a dark reflecting pool with two Washingtons and Capitols, lit up brilliantly against an almost dark sky. I see flickers of flash splatter against the stone steps, only no music except what is filtered through my iPod that only I can hear.

I left and went out walking after a long day at the office, again questioning what I was doing, where I was and where I was going. After an hour I found myself walking through the snow of dying blossoms, blown from their perches by a faint whisper of the wind and coloring the sidewalks in pinks and yellows.

I'm sitting down now, relishing the tingling in my legs, the coolness and the amazing lack of people on an incredible spring night. I feel I could be content to just watch the ripples, the blurring of the edges of the Washington while your eyes flow up to the base of a sturdier version.

Moments like this, I realize, I live for. Pure contentment where so much doesn't matter. Just myself, this wind and these legacies...these giants of American history.

I may not know if what I'm doing is right. But I have moments that feel so right. And even though I know I will eventually move on, most likely for somewhere with a warmer winter climate, I will always have these moments.

I'm not sure I'd trade that for all the other unknowns.

No comments: