Pages

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

writing soundtracks

I'm trying to think of music that will work best for my screenplay. I think music definitely helps the writing process. Even in school, I was one of those people that could never work in silence. I hated studying at the library because it was too quiet. I found that the slightest thing would distract me. I looked for those distractions. But give me music or a coffee shop and I can work for hours.
When I worked on the Bali story, I listened to a lot of classical music. It was calming and there were no lyrics to distract, which was great since I had to really build up this world and the experiences that I've never had (and hopefully never will). In the early part of the story, I listened to a lot of lounge music since it was a little more...easy going.
Now that I'm working on the YA novel, I find myself listening to the alternative rock music I listened to in high school. Or at least the bands, even if the CDs have come out later than that. I've been listening a lot to Dave Matthews and had the urge the other day to pop in some Coldplay. And of course there's Garbage and the soundtrack to Romeo & Juliet (with Danes and DiCaprio, still one of my favorite soundtracks) and Brokedown Palace (also a favorite).
But I'm not sure yet which CDs will be most conducive to my current work this month. I've listened to Dave Matthews and Joss Stone, just since that's what's currently in my CD player. But this weekend, when I hope to really get ahead, I need something...inspirational to the story. Hmmm...maybe a little Fiona could work in the beginning, or maybe Jem. But...I'm not sure what else. My lounge and trance I definitely don't think will work. Maybe for one or two scenes, but it's not the same mindset.
I'll let you know what I decide. Sometimes I'll just stare at my CDs and something will jump out and it'll be perfect.
In other news, it's April and, aside from Script Frenzy, it's also National Poetry Month! Last year I posted a few of my favorite poems, and will try to do that this year (in between editing and writing and, of course, that whole working thing.
For kicks I'll leave you with one of my favorites: Hell in Texas.
There's not a great, deep meaning here. But it's fun. And true.
Apparently it's a song. I had it in a collection of poems (The Best Loved Poems of the American People). Looking it up online I only found it as a folk/Cowboy song. So...there you go.

No comments: