Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

the joys of starting out

Quite recently I'd finished something that was definitely cause for celebration. Or for doing something celebratory. Nothing big, but a small, personal celebration. So...I have this small bottle of nice champagne that I'd received as a gift awhile back and I figured now was as good as time as any to open it.
Only one slight problem. No champagne flutes.
I didn't think about champagne flutes when I moved into my apartment. It was one of those "things I'll eventually buy." Like a toaster. I went about two and a half years without one because I didn't think I'd use it, I did fine without it, and living in my shoebox sized apartment in downtown DC...I couldn't completely justify the counter space.
I have since gotten said toaster, and I love it. Bagels and cream cheese every morning.
Anyway...back the champagne flutes. I figured that would be my celebratory purchase. I found a set of six that I loved from Crate & Barrel (can't go wrong there!) and also a set of rounded bowls that will be perfect for salads with my "rabbit-food" diet.* My roommate had bowls similarly shaped senior year in college, and I loved them! We could make the best huge salads with lots of added toppings, like raisins, lots of nuts, etc., and not have to worry about them dropping over the sides.
So there's one thing I can cross off my list, nearly three years after graduating. Next up...I'm thinking a casserole dish. Or at least some more larger dishes that are oven friendly. Or mixing bowls. Right now I use some of my oven-friendly dishes. And I'm thinking about a TV. Or a really comfortable chair to read, write and watch the aforementioned TV. Hmmm...
*When you grow up a vegetarian in Texas with family members that really enjoy their steak, your "weird" food tends to get made fun. Not that salads are weird, but the fake chicken nuggets and fake bacon I like are. To them.

No comments: