Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I heart coffee studies

I love coffee. Everything about it. The taste, the smell, the warmth, the shape of the mug and the way your hands mold to it on cool mornings. I love walking in, or even sometimes walking past, coffee shops and that rich aroma spills out and you may only get the faintest scent, but it's calming. To me.
In my relatively short life, coffee and I have had a long history together. And that's what happens when you're a night person but your high school starts at 7:30am. Which of course means you have to be up hours earlier to eat, get ready, finish homework and, until I was 16, catch the bus. Honestly, school boards, 7:30am is way too early for a 14 year old. I'd even argue occasionally for the 18 year old too.
But I digress. My coworker mentioned this new study on coffee drinkers a little earlier today. And I've seen several other in the past on BBC about coffee's effects on memory. Now of course, this doesn't mean to go out and drink a lot of coffee throughout the day, because then we'd never get any sleep. And I've had my moments, mainly pulling those all-nighters in college, where I know I've had too much and I think...oh, I should probably cut back (seeing as how I no longer have those all-nighters, I can say that I have cut back).
But...it does give just a little bit of justification for that vice that quite a number of us indulge in. Every morning.
On a side note, I bought a cup at Monticello with part of a quote from Jefferson that says "Coffee...the favorite drink of the civilized world." It made me smile.

No comments: