Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

strange sensations...for august

Is it just me, or does it almost feel like fall is here? Or at least fall's trying to make a breakthrough?

Maybe it's just trying to shove its way through the normally hot and sticky month of August. Which I'd have no problem with.


The other day, I had the strangest sensation of fall while walking home from work. Well, I guess it helped that my walk to work that morning was cool and a little breezy.

But since it had rained earlier, a cool, moist feeling hung in the air. But it wasn't thick and sticky, like normal humidity. It smelled fresh, the rain having already cleared away some of the putrid smells of summertime city streets. And because of the clouds, it was more like dusk.* Cars with their headlights only added to this, skipping forward to the shorter days in the months to come. All I needed was a few multi-colored trees lining the streets.

I know. I'm jumping ahead here, but a girl can dream, can't she? I'm hoping, and keeping my fingers crossed, that fall will come sooner rather than later.


*Interestingly enough, when I think of dusk, I think of summer. Maybe it's all those trips to Virginia in the summer when I was growing up. It was practically a family rule that we went out at dusk to catch fireflies. Fireflies signal dusk to me.

No comments: