Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

tortoises

Ok, so I should apologize for my absence. This time, partly due to circumstances beyond my control. In my mind I was drafting up some new posts based on some articles I'd seen, and then last week as I was about to sit down and write one of those...my internet was down. For nearly all week.

At first on Monday night, I didn't mind too much. I spent the evening catching up on some reading and it was kind of nice. But then on Tuesday...I started to get a little antsy. But it's better now. For now. So I'll continue with the article I wanted to mention.

A couple of weeks ago I saw this article on the BBC: Extinct tortoise can 'live again'

The headline sounds kind of mad scientist, doesn't it? Which I think was the point. Anyway, so there was this species of tortoise on the Galapagos island that became extinct many, many years ago. But scientists have discovered another species that is remarkably similar to the Geochelone elephantopus on another island. It's thought that these were in essence survivors from whaling expeditions that took too many turtles, and so sent some back. These tortoises went to a different island from where they originated, and slowly mixed with the other species on the island.

But because their breeding and maturation process takes so long, they retained many of the characteristics of the extinct elephantopus tortoise they originated from. So the article thinks that with a little cross-breeding, and of course about 100 years or so, the elephantopus can essentially be brought back to life. No playing with genes in a test tube or a lab required.

Anyway, I just thought it was really kind of fascinating. Oh, and on a side note, I finally bought a plant yesterday. It's a small spider plant...sort of a "test" plant. Growing up I didn't have the best track record with plants, they either died or took over (I had a mint plant that completely took over the other herbs). But in college I had a beautiful, leafy bamboo plant...until my cat ate it. And at my last office, I kept the plants there green and leafy and yes, I was proud of them. So if this one thrives, I'm going to take it to my office and then get a larger plant for my apartment.

But I've been wanting/meaning to get a plant for a very long time. And I'm excited now that I finally did. Wish me luck with it!

No comments: