Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

national film challenge

Anyone do anything fun this weekend? I had a long, but great, weekend.

This past weekend was the National Film Challenge, where you have to make a film in one weekend, including writing the screenplay. Talk about pressure. Friday evening around 7 we got our film requirements, briefly sketched out a story, and then I was sent off to a corner to write for about two hours.

My pulse was racing when it was time to show everyone else the script and go through the first read through. But hey, it's hard to show off a work in progress, especially when it's been awhile since I studied and wrote screenplays. I think that it turned out ok, and the actors were great.

So here's the cool thing: having something done with my writing. It was neat to go through the read throughs Friday evening and as the actors became more familiar with the lines and the characters, it was really great to see what they did with their character. And the on Saturday, seeing the scenes played out. And on Sunday I spent most of the afternoon with the director while he edited and that was really awesome, seeing it all come together.

It's already changing the way I watch things, even just with one weekend. It's one thing to know that films are shot out of order, and over and over again, but it's different to actually watch it.

And it was fun. Definitely a lot of fun. And we'll have a great blooper reel, which is also part of the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I would that WOULD be quite nerve-wracking! What pressure, having to produce something in just a few hours. Also exciting and fun, though, to be involved in such a project. :)

Patricia said...

There was some pressure Friday evening, mostly self-imposed. But it was so much fun. I definitely hope to do it again.