Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

review: just listen by sarah dessen

Some of you may know that I have been reading more and more Young Adult fiction while working on my own writing, and while looking for more reads, particularly those that are talked about a lot to see what works and how certain issues are addressed, there are several writers who come up repeatedly. I read this book a couple of weeks ago after hearing much about Sarah Dessen. And I think that this was a great introductory book to her writing.



Just Listen is the story about Annabel Greene, a girl who, from the outside, came from a close-knit, happy family, was part of the in-group at school and also modeled part-time. But things are not what they seem, and after what appears to be a misunderstanding, Annabel is no longer friends with her "best" friend, and finds herself alone, in part self-imposed. And then there's her family, her beautiful, middle sister who has an eating disorder no one will talk about at first, or face. And rather than bring these topics up, or tell her friends what really happened last spring, Annabel seems to tell herself that, in a way, its better this way.

And then there's Owen. The school loner who she begins to become friends with and who ultimately helps her open up and tell people what's happening, when before she claimed she was only "being nice." And that's a moment I know I've had, when you really should say something, but you don't.

What I liked about Just Listen, other than the writing of course, which was brilliant and fresh, but was the aspect of music. Owen is a music fiend, he loves it and constantly has it playing, saying that it saved him back during his rough time. While I can't pinpoint any moment where I started listening to music more, I did relate. I love music and find the static silence near unbearable. Who knows how many times I've had to put in either my angsty rock music or some Fiona Apple or Tori Amos, and then of course my dance music. And in the evenings to unwind, its either some lounge or classical. But I could definitely relate to the music and the need for its presence.

The writing, as I mentioned earlier, is fantastic. And there's great character development, especially with Annabel but also her sisters and new friends (and some old friends too). Whitney's change was subtle, which it would be if it happened to my sister and me too. Little changes that eventually add up, even if you don't quite notice them as they're taking place. And no matter what age group you're writing for or reading, it's those little things that really make a story real.

No comments: