Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

buying local

About a week or so ago, while doing my weekly shopping at Whole Foods, I stopped in the ice cream section to pick up some more gelato. It wasn't a particularly cold weekend then, which is why gelato didn't seem like such a crazy idea. But while looking over the selection, deciding if I wanted to try a new flavor, I saw a little note underneath one shelf of ice cream: Local brand!

And what struck me were the flavors. There was orange chocolate chip (which is what I ended up buying) and rice pudding, and unfortunately I can't recall the other flavors but they were just as unique. It was the first instance where the local product really caught my attention. I think in the past I've bought some local produce before, and of course the farmer's market in my area each week, but it never really jumped out at me. I think what did it was the uniqueness of the flavors.

And of course...the ice cream was delicious! I don't recall the name of the brand, only that it was from Manassas, and it's definitely one I'll pick up again. About a year ago I'd started following a blog, Local Feast, which at the time was a seasonal experiment. And then I don't think I've really become aware of any such organization, but in NW Montana, there is a Buy Local organization with a logo to really get its point across and increase the recognition of local products and local businesses in the area. It kind of reminds me of the USDA organic labels. At one glance you know it's organic and will pick it up, if that's what you're shopping for of course. And of course the website will list the members so if you're shopping for something specific, and know you want to buy local, then take a look at the businesses.

I think part of the appeal is of course boosting local economies and even getting to know the local businesses on a personal basis. But also...as I discovered with the ice cream, there's more room for experimentation, which is fun. Rice pudding flavored ice cream?

Ah, after a quick search, I did see something in this area: Local First DC, for one. And others that a quick search will yield.

No comments: