Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

valentine's day

When I was growing up, holidays were always a big thing in the house. And not like big, party big, but there was always...something for the holidays, even the smaller ones like Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day. You know, of course we did things for Christmas, Easter and Halloween. But for Valentine's Day, what I remember is that my parents would put little Hershey kisses around the house, and divide up the rooms between my sister and me. When she and I woke up, we'd get to search through our respective rooms for our kisses (and for anyone who is unfamiliar with the whole sibling rivalry thing...having lets say three rooms each ensured that we'd get the same number of kisses).

Last year, flying back from California, I had an unexpected layover in Texas over the President's Day weekend. I first had a four hour layover where my Mom picked me up and took me out to lunch, but when I got back to the airport, I learned that my next flight was oversold and they were asking people to volunteer to give up their seats. Ordinarily it doesn't seem like such a great idea, but an extra, unexpected night back home? Sign me up!

When I got home that night and poured a glass of wine in the kitchen, I saw a Hershey kiss perched on the side of the kitchen counter on a small shelf with some of my Mom's collectibles. My reaction? "Oh my gosh, you're still doing this?!" After all, this was my first Valentine's back home for about six or seven years. I thought it was so awesome that she still put kisses around for my sister. And...when I woke up the next morning, more kisses had appeared throughout the house for me. Granted, my sister and I no longer have to divide up the rooms.

There are some things you just don't get too old for. And while she's no longer able to hide kisses around the house, or my tiny little apartment, I did receive a little package in the mail the other day with a handful of kisses inside. I almost feel the urge to place them along my bookshelves and cabinets, to pick one up whenever I need a little bite-sized piece of chocolate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not really called "President's Day" -- or even "Presidents' Day."

See

http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/presidents-day/