Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2009

2009 Cherry Blossoms


I spent yesterday first down at the Japanese Street Festival and then around the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms, despite the crowds. The festival was larger, and more crowded, than I'd expected. I've been down there for the Turkish festival in the fall, which occupies less street space. But it made sense, the size. So many people are in town for the cherry blossoms and the cherry blossom festival. But after checking out the festival some, which had some great jewelry and paintings, and then also had a fun karaoke tent and game tent (no...I didn't sing), my friends and I head to the tidal basin to look at the cherry blossoms. With all the people at the festival, one would think the tidal basin wouldn't be so crowded, but...you'd be wrong. It was packed! And it was beautiful weather, for the most part. There was some business with the wind, but that was bearable. Although it did make it really, really cold when I headed home after some sushi and sake. I survived though.

I can't recall if I went down to see the cherry blossoms last year. It's one of those things when you're not around, you can think that you can miss them. And I mean this, of course, as a very general you. You've seen them once, you've seen them all kind of thing. At least, that's kind of what I've been thinking leading up to this weekend. I've gone down and seen them at least twice. And did I really want to brave the mad crowds to see them again?

Would I do it again next year?

Yeah, I would. Because they're beautiful! And next year I'm going to take a little picnic. I would have been happy to just sit nearby with the sun pouring through the pale pink petals, the wind rippling across the water and maybe, if the wind blows just right, some of the music from the stage set up in front of the Jefferson Memorial. It's one of those things that I really should take advantage of while I live here. I don't have to plan a trip far in advance to ensure a decent ticket price or to find a hotel room and rent a car, all of that.

And it was also one of those weekends when I just kind of thought "huh...I'm really lucky to live here."

Now granted, that may change during another unbelievably hot and humid summer weekend, but for now as I'm sitting here looking through pictures of cherry blossoms with my window open and my apartment only slightly chilled, I enjoy it and can wonder why I would ever want to leave.

No comments: