Pages

Friday, April 03, 2009

westerns

I have homework this weekend. And no, it's not homework from any classes I'm taking. I graduated a couple of years ago, and while I have taken some language classes since then, I'm not taking any currently. I have homework from my father. Hahaha...and yes, I'm grinning while I type this.

Hmmm...I guess I should explain.

I spoke with him last weekend and got to ask a few basic questions about basic military organization. Long story short: I had a very brief question about injuries and a wounded man receiving water that I was curious about and while receiving my answer, I figured I'd ask a couple of other questions I was curious about. I was in the last 100 pages of The Naked and the Dead and it really helped with my understanding. Anyway...somehow we moved from that to Westerns.

And apparently the one Western that I have to see, and haven't yet, is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And there will be some trivia information I hear after I watch it. So...like a dutiful daughter I have netflixed the movie and will watch it probably tomorrow night or Saturday evening.

You know what? I'm really looking forward to it too. I actually had it on my netflix list awhile back, but took it off after my list was far too incredibly long (I like shorter lists because I like the feeling of making progress while seeing the numbers drop...don't ask). So this was a really good reason to put it back on there.

I'll let you know what I think about it. I mean...it's a Western with Paul Newman and Robert Redford. And it comes very highly recommended from someone who's opinion I trust, especially with movies. I'm already thinking I'll like it.

So...I guess it's not really homework, is it?

4 comments:

Hammer said...

It's not your typical run-of-the mill traditional western, but that's part of its appeal. After you're done, consider Netflixing the DVDs from the Lonesome Dove television miniseries from a few years back. The interplay between Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval is right up there with Redford/Newman.

Patricia said...

Actually...I've already seen Lonesome Dove. In one sitting. It was pretty good...though to be honest I don't remember much near the end, as it was about 2am on my last night of vacation. But...I know someone I can always borrow it from. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Michael J. Sullivan said...

Ever seen "Quick and the Dead" that's a bit different too. Female protagonist, don't see too many of those.

Patricia said...

Thanks for the reminder! I remember that was one movie I had really wanted to see, but still haven't. I will definitely put that one on my netflix. Thanks Michael!