Pages

Thursday, April 09, 2009

western review

So last weekend I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid after having the film recommended to me by someone I know and trust. And his opinion didn't disappoint. After watching it, I have to say that for the most part, I really enjoyed it. I have only one real beef with the film, and I'll get that out of the way first.

There's this scene with Etta and Butch riding around on a bicycle (the new invention of the future!), and I had a problem with the pop music playing over this montage: "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head." Ok, so granted I just looked up the song, and it was written just for the movie and won an Oscar. It just...it didn't really sound very Western. And so that really kind of took me out of the movie for a little bit.*

But that was really about it. Otherwise, the banter between Paul Newman (Butch) and Robert Redford (Sundance) was excellent. And Redford had such a presences, even though he maybe only said about ten words throughout the movie. Ok, maybe a few more. I'd like to say more, but I'm curious first. I was told that after I watched it, I would be informed of a bit of trivia about the movie and Butch and Sundance. So I think I'm going to wait for that.

One more movie I can now say I've seen. You know how there are just some movies that you feel you really should have seen because it seems like everyone else has? I've been going through a lot of the "classics" that way on my Netflix list. Some have been absolutely terrific, and others...well, not so much. But we'll see what kind of trivia I learn now that I've seen it.


No comments: