Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

weekend

So, how was your weekend? Mine? Well, only one way to describe it, really.

Do I need to say much more? Do I wish I was still there? Yeah.

I spent a few, too short days at the beach on the Gulf side of Florida this weekend for my best friend's wedding. There was no question of going down there, really, and not just because it was the beach, but because this is a friend I have really known all my life...for about 20 years. When I thought about it...I can't remember not knowing her.

Having friends like that is really a great thing. The internet has made staying in touch much easier. You can drop a quick email, chat or trade facebook messages. And since facebook and MySpace and all of that has become so popular, I've reconnected with many people I knew in high school and even before that. Which is great. But this stuff didn't really get very popular until near the end of my college days (back when certain universities belonged to facebook only), but my friend and I stayed in contact then. We talked and of course saw each other in breaks from school, even though we were about 1,500 miles apart with our respective schools.

And you know...on that, I have another friend of mine, a college friend, who I have not seen in about five years. And we stay in contact by phone (*gasp!* imagine that!). Sure, we're friends on these online networking sites, but rarely do we trade a message that way. There's really nothing like catching up, and every time we talk, either with her or with my friend who was married over the weekend, it's like we'd just seen each other. Even though the last time may have been six months ago, or five years ago.

I started off writing about my weekend and then ended up talking about how great it is to be in close contact with my two really good friends. But I guess that's the great thing about stream of consciousness. And though the internet has made staying in contact so much easier, there's still something to be said for working towards that contact by phone or letters. I don't know...it's just...it's nice. And it's worth that extra step of a phone call or taking the time out to write an actual letter.

But back to my friend's wedding. In a nutshell, the wedding was beautiful and it was so very much my friend. She is a very laid back kind of girl, and the beach ceremony really fit with that. We lucked out and the weather was incredible! I'm so glad I was able to make it down to the beach, not just for a very nice change of scenery, but to share that special day with her.

And it was a pleasure and an honor to have been asked to have been a part of it.

No comments: