Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

reading aloud

It's one tip I've heard numerous times to help one improve one's writing. Read it aloud. This will give an idea of how it sounds and if it flows more. We read things silently one way, but then when read aloud, it may sound as natural as it could.

I haven't read much of my own work aloud. I have read aloud sections in my French books or some French poetry when I'm trying to improve my French. Similar concept, I guess. It helps me speak some French without necessarily thinking about it. But my own work is something a little different.

I feel odd reading aloud in the privacy of my own room (why, I don't know...it's not like anyone can hear me). Maybe it's because since there's no one listening, I'm strangely aware of the sound of my own voice. But it's helping. I've read a few paragraphs of a short story that always seemed ok in my head, but reading them aloud...well, it's making me rethink the word order. And maybe this is a good exercise. Maybe by the time I've finished reading through the short story, the sound of my voice won't seem so foreign and I'll be able to conquer the book.

Maybe.

And it'll be interesting to see how the short story reads once I've made some edits based upon hearing it read aloud.

No comments: