Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

writing playlists

Last night I put together a playlist (though incomplete as I still have some CDs to go through), that would help with the mood while rewriting some scenes and making some edits. And...so far I have to say that it really does help. I've sorted through some songs while working on one particular scene...and was able to really get that scene to convey what I wanted. Or so I think, anyway.

Here are some of the songs I've found particularly useful:

Mummer's Dance - Loreena McKennitt
Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez
Fable - Robert Miles
Before I'm Dead - Kidney Thieves
Truly - Delerium
Is This Real? - Lisa Hall
Standing Still - Jewel

This is just a sampling, of course. And I think a few of these will probably show up in other playlists for other books. I've always listened to music when writing, except if I've gone out to Starbucks for a little writing sessions. And I've found that when I'm home, I definitely get more writing done listening to...the right kind of music.

While going through a bunch of these CDs, I also came across some really fantastic songs that I haven't listened to in awhile. I'm really looking forward to putting those on my iPod for the week.

I'll just have to try to refrain from singing aloud with some of them.

2 comments:

Michael J. Sullivan said...

You should consider adding, "Fires at Midnight" by Blackmore's Night. You can find it on iTunes.

When I heard it I immediately thought of your story.

Patricia said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to check that out.