Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

leaving summer


Last weekend I spent one day out on the water, and it made me think about how much I'm going to miss summer. Not the high humid days when the air is so thick one can hardly breathe (because how much fun are those days?). I'm going to miss the warm summer evenings, the sun high and bright in the sky, walking home from dinner in the evening with the sun still on the horizon, and that lazy summer feeling when it feels more okay to lounge around outside. And the planning for summer trips (and the taking of summer trips).

Even though I've been out of school for many years, there's still a sense of summer vacation where everything just kind of slows. Okay, so maybe not at work of course, but in the evenings and on the weekends. And this summer was still busy. I made it back to Montana, traveled to a new country for work, made it back to Texas and even up to Pittsburgh. Probably more travel I've done in one summer than ever.


With this last winter that DC suffered through, summer was definitely a long-awaited blessing. And I am looking forward into fall and the leaves changing color. Now that this Texas girl can actually watch the leaves changing! And I'm also looking forward to more writing. With summer, I just want to be outside soaking up that missed-for sun during those cold months. But when I think of fall, I think of sweaters and hot tea, and preparing to settle in for the winter. And that right there is perfect writing weather.

But summer, you will be missed. And I will look forward to seeing you again next year.

No comments: