Pages

Thursday, September 09, 2010

tornado in dallas

What?

So I called my sister, one to find out how wet Dallas was and then also just for a general update. I was not quite expecting to hear that she was concerned for a tornado heading up towards North Dallas. From a brief search, there were a few "weak" tornadoes that touched down and it does seem the damage was minimal. But again...WTF?



I always knew that Dallas was kind of on the outskirts of Tornado Alley. Sure, I'd seen the sky turn that hideous shade of yellowish/green that makes your heart drop into your stomach, but it usually faded to a black storm cloud or back into a bright blue sky fairly quickly. And of course there is the monthly siren testing, so those need to be in working order for something, right? And on two occasions, I'd heard the sirens not on testing days (again, talk about a stomach flip). But that was pretty much the extent of it.

Maybe Dallas just wasn't flat enough. I think I'd heard of one time in my twenty years of a tornado touching down, but only briefly. Otherwise...well, we'd just have to worry about Texas sized hail and the sheets of rain that fell from the sky. A good rule: remember to pull over if you can't see outside your window.

Not going to lie...I'm a little amazed at this story. And at the footage and tracing the path of one of them. Streets I know very well (Mockingbird Lane, the tollway). Usually when you do hear of a touch down, it's far outside Dallas, not there in the middle of everything. The CNN guy said it was surreal. Yeah, I'm going to second that, and I wasn't even there.

No comments: