Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

leaving summer...or not

Right after I post about summer winding down, we have a week of 90+ weather. Which when you factor in the humidity, is kind of miserable. If you need proof, well, the Weather Channel ranked DC as number 1 of its worst summers this year. Hmmm...

Number one's number one, right?

And today was definitely a reminder that summer isn't quite over yet. Sure, it may technically be over according to this year's almanac, but no one told summer that. Today I was outside for about 5 hours, and definitely worn out after that. I wasn't doing too much either, mostly standing. In line. But totally worth it. I stood in line for two author signings: Isabel Allende and Orhan Pamuk. I wanted to stand in line for Elizabeth Kostova too, but that would have been another hour and it overlapped with Pamuk's talk. I'd already missed seeing Kostova speak by being in line for Allende, and I wanted to have the chance to hear some author's I really wanted to hear.

Every year I look forward to the book festival. It's inspiring to get a chance to listen to some of my favorite writers, or maybe even those I'd heard of but hadn't read. This year was also the first year I waited to get some books signed. In the past I spent all my time at the tents, which has always been incredible. But...I love my books and there really is something nice to having a book signed by a favorite writer. Preferably at a reading/signing when its just them, but for a heavy-hitter like Allende or Pamuk...I'll wait in the sun.

And as always, when I'm down there...I do get inspired. I look forward to coming home again and sitting in front of my laptop to get back to work on that novel that's giving me trouble or, like I may do tonight, the short story I'm working to polish. And I'll take the heat. Last year I skipped it because of the rain...so I'd rather it be hot and sunny!

No comments: