Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2007

economics

I remember the advice that we received before and during college, that many people get jobs that have nothing to do with their major. I heard a lot of this when I still thought about a creative writing major, which I then switched before I even went to college. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I would have thought my degree would have been used. And it still may be.
If I can remember what I learned.
I spent four years studying economics...ok, maybe three since one senior semester was spent studying politics in DC and the other had one economics course: my senior seminar where I wrote a paper. But I took a lot of courses and I loved them, even if I didn't get a 4.0 in some of them (ok, maybe all of them). The coolest thing was taking what I learned there and applying it to my minors, like the time we were discussing the Asian financial class in my Asian International Relations and for some reason, the double graph I learned about expected exchange rates totally made sense when I tried to apply it.
Sorry...still awake?
The thing is...I don't necessarily remember how to do all of that now. I can see the graphs, but I can't quite remember what goes on there. And it extends beyond international finance. I'm not sure I remember anything from international trade, my favorite econ class.
I'm not sure why, but I kept my old econ books. Well, except for statistics (a class we never used the book in anyway). I've pulled out my micro book to look through. Let's see how easily it is for it all to come back. And now I have something to keep me occupied until Italian classes start again in the spring.

No comments: