Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

oh DC, sometimes you're really wonderful

Ok, so besides the greatness that was the National Book Festival last weekend, today I discovered something else that has me incredibly stoked about living in this great and wonderful city (I know, these are not actually adjectives I freely use in the dead of winter...DC and I...we have a complicated relationship).
October 14 is the Turkish Festival. And Turkish coffee...how I love thee.
I still remember the first time I had Turkish coffee. It was at Café Izmir in Dallas, right there on Greenville Avenue where you can go on Tuesday nights for $2 tapas. Yes, I still am madly in love with this place and try to go every time I'm back in Dallas. And yes, I've seriously thought about moving back to Texas because then I could go there any time I wanted. Hey...living away from Dallas for six years can really make you miss a place.
After some of the most incredible food I've had, we had some dessert and coffee, and the coffee came out in these little demitasses with colorful designs. I braved it. I didn't add anything to it, and I think it's definitely ruined if you do, but the coffee was thick, and grainy and rich. And somehow it was still smooth going down and had a dark taste, almost like dark chocolate.
I've had Turkish coffee a few times since, not many, and never as good as when I have it Café Izmir. A woman who worked with my Mom brought back a bag of it after a trip to Istanbul. I still have it somewhere and I think I may need to find that for some of the cold nights coming up. But until then...I have this to look forward to.
And hey! This time I can have my future read too. What a plus.
DC...right now, I love you.

No comments: