Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

happy halloween!

There was an article I saw and wanted to mention, but I decided to hold off until close to Halloween (and how much closer can you get?). The article says that just about one in three people believes in ghosts...which, coincidentally, is the same percentage of UFO believers.
What struck me as interesting is the relatively high number of people believing in ghosts, UFOs and ESP (nearly half the population!) but the low percentage of people who believe in magic.
What also struck me was that as far as people living in the city goes, men were more superstitious than women. When I mentioned this to my sports-loving co-worker, she said "well...there's baseball." And the article did mention that the number of people (both men and women) believing in these things matches the percentage of baseball fans in this country.
I was going to look for a quote from the article, but there's too much there that's extremely interesting and I couldn't really pick the most interesting paragraph. But I will say that I've felt bad for some of the superstitions. So what have I done to remedy that? My favorite number is 13 and I have two black cats.
I once read that in England it was considered lucky to have a black cat cross your path. So when I first got Isis, I figured I'd embrace that part of my English heritage.
And yes, the above pumpkin is one I carved. I'm old fashioned, I didn't need a stencil to make some complicated design...even though they look really cool. Back in my day we used a pencil or a marker and a knife. C'est tout.
Happy Halloween!

No comments: