Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

birthstones and meanings

This morning I did a quick search for September/Virgo's birthstone for the novel I'm finishing up, and came across a really interesting website about the meaning of each birthstone. The only ones I really knew were January (for obvious reasons...it's mine), February (again, my zodiac sign has February's birthstone and my Mother's birthstone) and June (my sister's birthstone). Oh, and for some reason I knew the emerald was May...I think from high school when I debated getting that or a garnet in my class ring, my high school's color or my birthstone.
I went with the emerald. But was able to get a garnet for college since my colors were maroon and grey.
Anyway. while looking up September (a sapphire, by the way), I came across the American Gem Society's site that went by each stone for each month, even if they have two or three stones, and told the meanings behind each stone and a little bit about them like where they're from and what they've been used for historically.
For instance, a garnet was so named because of its resemblance to the pomegranate seed. Hmmm...I wonder if stones were also assigned to the gods and goddesses if in Greece this stone was then Persephone's stone. But the stone is also said to represent trust and friendship, which, interestingly enough, relates to the Aquarius trait of loyalty...even though I know Aquarius is technically amethyst, the sign starts in January.
And it dates back to 3100 BC.
Ok, I think that's cool. It also makes me want to go buy some more garnet jewelry. I only have my college class ring now, which I still where every day.
I'd like to hear what you found interesting about your birthstone if you take a look.

No comments: