Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

dallas

I went back to Dallas for a long weekend recently, and I must have been crazy because I'd been looking forward to this trip even though August is quite possibly the worst possible month to be in Texas. Well, there was that one time when there were over 30 days in a row with the weather over 100, and I think the bulk of that was in July. But let me just say that on my last full day there, I'm driving in the early evening and am at a stoplight next to a bank. And banks are great for having their electronic signs with the date, time and weather. And what did this sign say? 105.

105. One hundred and five. And I'm sure that was probably without the heat index.

But I kind of liked it (yes, I already noted I must be crazy). Coming from DC, where the air can be so thick with moisture it's difficult to breathe, I would rather have hotter but drier weather. There are parts of Texas where the humidity can be just as bad, but thankfully Dallas isn't one of those places.

It was a great trip. I try to get back whenever I can, but this had been the longest I've gone without a visit (since Christmas!). I had planned a trip in February, but that was postponed first because of snow in DC, and then ultimately canceled because of snow in Dallas. Go figure.

So I basically took a long weekend to check out. I worked on a little writing, ate some delicious Mexican food, sampled tasty margaritas in mango and coconut flavors, and let my sister spoil me with champagne, cinnamon French toast and a fruit salad on my last morning. See why I go back to visit so often?


I want to plan another trip now, one where I would be actively involved in seeing the city
again. I thought about perhaps spending a long weekend in Boston, a city that remains in a special place in my heart even though it's been about 10 years since I was last there. But I'm also thinking about a nice little introduction to Italy in a year. I'm thinking...Rome, Naples and maybe Venice. Maybe just Rome and Naples. Naples is definitely high on the list because of, well pizza of course, but also that little volcano named Vesuvius. Yup. Still active.

We'll see. Far too many stamps I want to collect in my passport. But in the meantime, there's always weekends away in Dallas. Maybe just a little more enjoyable in the coming cooler months when the weather will dip to about 17 here, but remain a balmy 85+ back in Big D. Then you won't think I'm so crazy.

No comments: