Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

the importance of customer service

So back to Dallas for a second. While there, I went shopping (because that's what you do in Dallas) and I found a gorgeous new bag that I just had to buy. Now granted, it was a little more than I wanted to pay for a new one, but I'd been out several times in the last several weeks on a mission to find a new purse and just haven't found anything. And then while browsing in the designer's boutique waiting for my Mom and sister, I came across this absolutely beautiful bag. And it just happened to be the last one in stock (see? Fate).

The clerks were awesome. One guy in particular who saw me looking at the bag and encouraged me to try it in the mirror (curse him!) which probably helped to cinch my purchase. And he was hilarious, and knew to stay back. All too often some people "hover," which turns me off in a store. And what was in my mailbox this afternoon about two weeks later? A handwritten note, addressed by name thanking me for my purchase (insert the bag name and color) and hoping I stop by on my next visit to the mall.

I've bought this brand before, but normally in department stores. This is the kind of thing that separates the boutique stores (though Neiman's and Nordstrom also have very attentive sales staff). And it reminded me of when I worked retail. My second retail job in late high school/early college was at a clothing store. And the best piece of advice that helped me through my entire time at that company, and then later at my first job where I really got to learn a lot of different faces, was getting names. Creating a personal relationship with someone within a few minutes. Help them to the fitting you got started and asking "Sarah, are you doing okay?" rather than just "hey, are you doing okay ma'am?"

I remember there was one woman who had just moved to Dallas. She and I chatted quite a bit as I helped her with some suggestions, and then also some suggestions around Dallas: places for live music, my favorite cafes and restaurants, etc. She didn't buy much that first day, but she came back and sought me out straight away. We worked together about once or twice a month, and there was one time she even dragged her husband into the store to meet me because I'd been such a help to her. These are the relationships you want to cultivate in a customer service setting because everyone benefits. The sales associate has increased/steady sales, and the customer feels like s/he is really being looked after, that they're not just there to fulfill a sales quota. And it also makes the 5 hours or so much more enjoyable.

And I'll be honest. Years after I left this company, I still pay attention to these things. I pay attention when I'm shopping to see who asks my name (sadly, not very many), and even better, who actually remembers it. I do tend to purchase a little more when the experience is more positive.

And back to my bag story that started this, that personalized thank you note has done a lot. Because my bag isn't the basic black I was initially looking for, I am still looking for a black bag. And I may wait until my next visit to Dallas, and rather than checking a department store, I'm definitely going to go back to the boutique store first and see what they have to offer. Maybe my guy will still be there, and if he isn't...I still feel like they're going to take care of me.

And there you go. There's another sale right there. And I feel taken care of..and it totally made my day even more than just my new bag did.

2 comments:

Montana Tom said...

Oh girl, you are such a Dallasite... born to shop and swayed by sales clerks. Although I must admit, the handwritten note had to do a lot with relieving your buyer's remorse!

What the heck... that's what money is for, right?

Patricia said...

Hey, just doing my duty to help the economy out! But seriously though...way better than crappy customer service. That would only have increased my buyer's remorse! Everybody's a winner! Except my bank account, but at least my wallet has a pretty new home!