Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

sunday mornings

Sunday mornings have always been a morning where breakfast, no matter where or what kind, is always enjoyed at a slow, leisurely pace. There's never a hurry, no errands that have to be run or anywhere to be.

And one of my favorite places to go on nice mornings is to
Dean & Deluca in Georgetown. I enjoy the walk through the morning quiet of DC, loving how still and peaceful it is compared to just a few hours later when everyone heads out. And even the main streets of Georgetown are still sleeping, with only a few people heading out to brunch.


On most days when I go, I meet some friends there for coffee and a pastry, or if I'm alone or early, I get a chance to enjoy my book on the stone alley area. This morning the rain held off until I was in line, thankfully, and so the other patrons and I crowded under the overhanging area, my friends having managed to snag a table before the rain fell harder.

I tried something new this morning too. Ordinarily I'll get a vanilla latte and a croissant, but today I tried D&D's coffee and an almond croissant, expecting just a taste of the almonds sprinkled over an otherwise ordinary butter croissant (which is still delicious on its own). But when I pulled off my first taste, there was like...an almond preserve tucked away inside the flaky pastry. It was sweet and almond, almost like solidified almond extract. It was a choice I'll keep in mind for future Sunday mornings.

W
ith the rain I wasn't able to enjoy my book, which I am very excited to be reading and hope to post more on later. While I want to know where this summer went, I am looking forward to the hot days winding down into the more cool mornings of fall so that I can spend more Sunday mornings over more coffees and more almond croissants.

No comments: