Pages

Thursday, October 07, 2010

annabel lee

It's really great when you come across something you love, and it's something that you haven't come across, or maybe even thought about, in a really long time. For me, this experience happened again with the poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe.

I was cleaning and organizing, restacking books that no longer fit on my bookshelves in order to make room for new books, and the poem was in this book. It was a thick collection of poems, Best Loved Poems of the American People. My family has had this book ever since I could remember, and there is a humorous poem about Texas in it that I remember memorizing for class one year (and still remember about eighty percent of it).

While moving this book, I thought I'd look up this poem. But then I saw that I had a folded letter in it, and I thought that I had marked this poem. To tell you how long its been since the last time I really looked through this book, the letter was an acceptance letter to one of the universities I'd applied to (but didn't go) oh so many years ago. But it wasn't marking the poem I thought it would be. It marked Annabel Lee.

This is such a beautiful poem. And sitting on my couch, window open on a beautiful fall afternoon and revisiting this poem...well, it was an incredible few minutes. Literature, poetry...there's this complete feeling that comes revisiting a poem or perhaps even reading something incredible for the first time. When for a few minutes, all is okay with the world around me.

No comments: